Pages

Sunday 7 August 2011

A couple of quick wins...

A couple of small successes after three weeks at Special Education Professionals here in Nairobi. This week I helped them to fix a short film that they had created and add it to Youtube. Well, when I say "I", I obviously mean my web guru back in the UK, Mr Jake Cocker - thanks Jacob, you're a legend! (and happy 30th by the way).

There's something to be said about a small world when I'm exchanging emails with the UK for technical advice about websites, regardless of slow and intermittent internet connection here. VSO talks about "creating a global community" as a key tool of development. I can sort of see what they mean. It's not digging wells or handing out food parcels, but this week I spread the word about SEP through a short film and setting up a facebook group. This will help them to gain more members - professionals in Kenya who work with children with special needs, such as Occupational Therapists, Physios, Special Needs Teachers - all of whom are on facebook. And hopefully it will also help to raise awareness of the organisation more generally, increasing the chances of finding funding for our projects here.

Have a watch of the film, or follow us on facebook, and it'll tell you more about the awesome organisation I'll be working with this year...








Oh, and a quick PS - I discovered this week that there are monkeys in the trees outside my office window! They were after my crisps, cheeky buggers...


2 comments:

  1. If you need a technical problem solving call in the 'Op's girl'! Loving the fact that you still tapping your networks to make things happen ;-)

    I'm sure it's quite strange having a monkey staring at you while you are trying to work. Or is it like home from home? Lots of love to you both. L x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I have successfully commented! I'm all business tonight x

    ReplyDelete